Over the last several months, I have had the opportunity to attend several meetings and conferences which have proven to be very timely with the dramatic changes facing those of us in health care. It is nice to know that the messages are very consistent.
Here are the top 10 messages that I have gleaned from these meetings:
1) Going forward, we can't afford Medicare as it exists now.
2) The passage of health care reform will significantly impact providers both positively and negatively but will establish a much needed transformation of health care.
3) There will be far less dollars available for health care in the future.
4) We must be prepared for the shift from fee for service to a global payment.
5) Hospitals will be managing their populations to keep them out of the hospital.
6) Hospitals will become the focus for wellness in their communities.
7) Physicians and hospitals will integrate as they have never done before.
8) There will be a high degree of consolidation between hospitals and physicians as well as between hospitals.
9) Volume of services will be replaced by the value of the care provided (safe, efficient, effective and delivered in the most appropriate setting).
10) EVERYONE associated with health care has to change going forward.
Over the next few weeks I will address how WMHS is incorporating these messages into our care delivery model.