"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Don Alexander

Yesterday, I blogged about my trip to Germany and how good it was to be home. Unfortunately, when I arrived back in the US, I was immediately informed of the death of Don Alexander, President of Allegany College for nearly 30 years until his retirement six years ago.  But, more importantly, at least from my perspective, Don was a Memorial Hospital and then a WMHS board member for well over 17 years.  He served as the WMHS Board Chair for three years just a few years ago.  Don served our organizations so very well and he will be missed immensely.  

Even in Don's retirement, we would stay in touch.  Don would send a politically charged email, a joke or a message that immediately complimented me and my team when he read something favorable about WMHS.  Even during some of our most challenging times early in the WMHS history, Don was always upbeat and positive.  He was a gentle giant in so many ways; not so much his stature, but in every other way.  


In the decades of knowing Don, I never heard an unkind word spoken about him.  He touched so many lives in so many ways.  I looked to Don as both a friend and a mentor.  Fortunately, I am left with some wonderful memories and stories from Don but sad to have lost someone so special far too early in one's life.  Don's wonderful sense of humor and his kind heart are now in a better place and free of suffering from the ravages of cancer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment