"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Friday, December 4, 2015

The Father’s Daughter

Pamela and I were in Charleston, SC. for Thanksgiving to spend it with both daughters and our son-in-law.  It was a wonderful time; every day was sunny and 75 degrees. We had Thanksgiving on their screened-in porch with a roaring fire in the fireplace and football on their big screen TV.  The meal was delicious and the drinks were aplenty, including the traditional Williamsburg Champagne Cocktail, a tradition in which we are in our 40th year.  
As we were leaving to return home, Pamela asked if I had seen the magazine next to our bed in the guest room.  I said that I hadn’t.  Pamela suggested that I read the article on page 22.  I wasn’t familiar with the magazine “Charlie” and learned that this particular issue, the Unity Issue,  grew out of the horrific shooting at Mother Emanuel Church this past year in downtown Charleston.  The magazine is very well done and extremely positive; it celebrates the culture of Charleston.  Charlie was published to inspire change not to entertain; it is to encourage reflection, discussion and action according to its publisher.  
When I opened the magazine to page 22, there was my daughter Jessica in their People section.  She never said a word that the article was there.  They were featuring a half dozen or so individuals who are making a difference in lives of Charlestonians.  The article on Jessica, who leads Boeing South Carolina’s Global Corporate Citizenship Program, is attached to my blog.  I continue to be amazed by Jessica’s commitment to her community.  She has been in Charleston for five years and she has truly become immersed in her community.  Jessica is involved in just about everything related to making Charleston a better place to live and work.  Last year, she received the Charleston Chamber of Commerce’s One to Watch award.  
When asked what I do in my spare time, it’s giving back to the community.  It appears that my “hobby” has transcended to my eldest and I couldn’t be more proud.  Congratulations, Jessica, not only for the recognition, but for what you have accomplished in five short years.

No comments:

Post a Comment