"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Personal Conviction

Yesterday, I wrote about the difficulty in taking a position, especially a difficult one.  But, I noted that as time went on, it has gotten easier.  So, what's the secret? A strong set of personal convictions, whether it's values, my faith or a connection to the community.

I started reading a new book on leadership entitled, "Exceptional Leadership" by Carson Dye and Andrew Garman.  The book identifies 16 characteristics of outstanding health care leaders.  It just so happens that the first characteristic is a well cultivated self-awareness, particularly living by a strong personal conviction.  (It's always nice to have immediate affirmation of something that I blog about.)  The book describes that personal conviction allows leaders to push through challenging times for the greater good, the health system, in my case.  As I noted yesterday, I have a strong set of personal values, as well as those of the health system, which guide and influence every decision that I make.  I am also fortunate to have a strong faith, greatly influenced by my wife, as well as a solid connection to the community that allows me to do what is best for WMHS and the region that we serve. 

If you are struggling with your own personal convictions or you are having a hard time applying them, ask for someone to guide you.  I have had many mentors over the years and they have been wonderful.  They have helped to shape my values and my faith and most importantly have made me a better person.  All you need to do is ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment