"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Start of Summer

The official start of Summer begins on Monday, Memorial Day.  The beach, picnics, backyard barbecues, family get-togethers, fishing, boating, golf, and so on.  A great time of the year.  Unfortunately, what is lost is the true meaning of Memorial Day.  It wasn't until I became much older that I came to realize the significance of this holiday.  The holiday commemorates members of the US military who died in service to our country going all of the way back to the Civil War.  The significance has much greater meaning in my adult life, especially with a daughter currently serving in the military.  The sacrifices are unimaginable that these men and women make for us every day. 

A few years ago, I visited the WWII Memorial in Washington, D C.  I was so moved by this memorial and by what I experienced being there that day.  WWII veterans--there in wheelchairs or with walkers or canes; there with family, some alone.  But, what I found so moving was the recognition shown to these veterans.  Strangers coming up to them and thanking them for their service to our country and making that sacrifice.  That visit is one that I will remember for the rest of my life as it helped shape my appreciation for those who serve and for those who made the ultimate sacrifice in giving their life for this country and our freedom. 

On Monday, pray for those who serve currently, have served and have given their life for us.  Thank a veteran or a member of the military.  If your community has a Memorial Day observance, attend it, it is a great time for reflection and recognition.  Have a great holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment