"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Pre-Diabetic, Say It Ain't So!

Last week, I took the opportunity to visit our Center for Diabetes Management at WMHS.  The reason was to sort out what may be going on with me from a health perspective.  I have been in a pre-Diabetic state for the last year (gotta love those genetics) and was hoping that I could beat it.  Although still having my blood glucose level reflecting a pre-Diabetic level, my numbers were going the wrong way.  So, I thought that it was time to get a better understanding of what I was doing or better yet, not doing.

I met with Tammy, the Nurse Practitioner, and she did a great job of explaining where I was in this pre-Diabetic state and what I needed to do to bring improvement to my health status, hoping to put it all in remission.  The majority of the time was spent learning about healthy eating with Jennifer, the Dietician.  I will devote tomorrow's blog to that topic.  Next, was exercise and I have that covered in that I am now do a variation of cross fit training three times per week that seems to be working.  Lastly, was medication, which is what I was resisting when suggested by my physician back in March.  Tammy suggested that I begin taking Metformin to protect my pancreas and Lisinopril to protect my kidneys. I reluctantly agreed; again hoping to put all of this in remission. 

The bottom line is that I want to be healthy.  I can only achieve that goal by paying closer attention to what is going on with my body and using the wonderful resources that we have available in our community, such as the Center for Diabetes Management.

1 comment:

  1. A big thank you for the positive feedback, from the staff at the Center for Diabetes Management. We love what we do and hope that is reflected in the care we give to all of our patients.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete