"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An End of An Era

This morning, I drove by the former Memorial Hospital to see the status of the demolition.  I have attached a few photographs of the current status of the buildings that are being demolished.  The medical office building is already completely demolished while the North wing is currently under demolition.  The Main Hospital appears to have been gutted for salvage and appears to be next for demolition.  The South Tower is undergoing a salvage operation at this point in time and then should  be demolished after the main hospital.  

I was surprised that after working on that campus for 20 years, I wasn't at all impacted by the demolition process.  Possibly, if the demolition process started right after we vacated the building, as was recommended to the City then, I would have been truly moved by the process.  When I look at that campus today and envision what could be placed on that site, I feel good about the next chapter that is awaiting Cumberland and the former Memorial Hospital.









No comments:

Post a Comment