"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

SHSMD San Diego

This past weekend I had the opportunity to participate in the annual conference for the American Hospital Association's Society for Health Strategy and Market Development.  I was invited to serve on a Thought Leader's Panel for senior executives with three other individuals.  I was thrilled to serve with Dr. Henry DePhillipe, the CMO of Teladoc, and Lynn Miller, the EVP for Clinical Services at Geisinger.  The three of us had a great time, along with two senior executives from Kaufman Hall.  They are all exceedingly bright people; what an honor for me.  

We each had the opportunity to present background on ourselves as well was what we were doing to keep viable as a health care provider in an ever changing environment.  Of course, I presented on our journey from volume-based care delivery to value-based care.  As has been the case for the last year, the information was very well received.  We then were asked a question by our moderator about our perspective on the changes in health care, which gave me the opportunity to talk about the many initiatives that we are engaged in related to our new care delivery model at WMHS.  Again, very well received with lots of great feedback.  

The floor was then opened for questions.  During our pre-session lunch, our moderator expressed concern that I would get the bulk of the questions based on the uniqueness and success of our journey into value-based care.  However, he did a nice job of making sure that we all had the opportunity to participate.  There were several "crystal ball" questions based on what we know now and what can then be expected in the future.  The attendees had a lot of great questions and also offered some wonderful perspectives related to our various topics.  

In fact, after the session, the moderator asked if I was publishing our journey into Value- Based Care Delivery.  I said not at this time as there are too many things going on.  He said that I would be doing a disservice to the health care industry if I chose not to write a book.  Of course, I took that as a compliment and have started to think about the idea.  Anyway, it was time very well spent, and to be able to do it in San Diego with most of my expenses paid was certainly a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment