"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Horrible Bosses

I have been working since I was 16, so I have had my share of bosses.  I have had some great ones; a few were wonderful mentors to whom I attribute my success as a leader.  I have also had some disasters for bosses.  Some who couldn't make a decision for love nor money.  Some whose leadership style was to concentrate the credit on themselves and distribute the blame among everyone else. I had bosses who lied, cheated and even stole (usually the credit). 

I had a new boss early in my administrative career who told me to take a signage package out of a new parking garage that was under construction.  I informed him that the signs were required by City code.  He said that the garage was for employees and that I misinterpreted the regulations.  He told me to revise the signage package to reflect a scaled down version.  I did and asked that he inform the CEO of the change.  He said that he would.  Shortly before the garage was to open, he and I were summoned to the CEO's office.  I was asked by the CEO why I scaled back the signage package knowing full well of the requirements.  I looked at my boss who was sitting in silence. I looked at him again and asked if he wanted to answer the question.  He said that he didn't know what I was talking about.  I accepted responsibility and said that I would rectify the situation immediately, which I did. That was also the day that I realized that I wouldn't be working for him very long.  After the meeting with the CEO, my boss thanked me for covering for him as he didn't want to look bad in front of the CEO since he was new to the organization and I had an established relationship. I suggested that his lack of support never happen again. It didn't, but there were many other occurrences where he pretty much showed himself to be a horrible boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment