"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Beheadings in 2011, You Can't Be Serious

I just read that a woman was beheaded yesterday in Saudi Arabia for sorcery and witchcraft.  I am not joking.  I can't imagine in this day and age that a woman could be beheaded for such ridiculousness.  I know that sorcery and witchcraft, along with blasphemy, are punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.  Although no details are available in this case, I have read that sorcery is usually identified with someone in Saudi Arabia who has demonstrated their right to freedom of speech or religion.  Saudi Arabia continues to practice an extreme version of Islam with lots of actions demonstrated by citizens every day in the modern world punishable by death.  I am truly amazed that in 2011 that such executions are occurring in what is supposed to be a civilized country.  Where is the outrage?  Amnesty International said that they were deeply shocked and called for a halt to any further executions, although the number of executions has tripled this year to date with 79.  I know that this is a leap, but I can't think of a better reason to drill for oil in the US and partner with Canada on the Keystone XL pipeline.  We should be making every effort to separate ourselves from a country that practices such barbarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment