"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Andrew Weil, MD

Last evening, I had the rare opportunity to hear Dr. Andrew Weil speak.  He was the guest of Frederick Memorial Hospital, as was I, and he spoke at the Weinberg Center in downtown Frederick.  For those of you who don't know Dr. Weil is, he is on the leading experts on Integrative Medicine.  When I lost 40 pounds a number of years ago, it was Dr. Weil's approach to a healthier life style that I followed.  I am back at it trying head off a pre-diabetic condition by once again following Dr. Weil's food pyramid which includes red wine (thank God), dark chocolate sparingly, tea (my drink of choice), healthy fats  (I have since acquired a taste for Salmon),  water (my other drink of choice), multi-grain pasta, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, good protein and dietary supplements.  I am still not a fan of soy products, beans and legumes, but who knows now that I like good Salmon.  I have lost 13 pounds in about 6 weeks and brought my blood glucose level down with an A1C now in the normal range. 

I will keep you posted on my progress, but I really enjoyed the opportunity to hear Dr. Weil. I am even practicing his breathing technique that is supposed to be a cure all so we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment