"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

I Am Not Native American, But I Am Irish

I just read an article that the US Patent Office has cancelled the trademarks of the Washington Redskins because they are disparaging to Native Americans.   Really?  I mean absolutely no offense to Native Americans, but when is this era of political correctness (PC) going to end?  For just as many Native Americans who are offended by the team name, there are just any many who could care less.  If folks are so offended by the Redskins team name, why is it the 8th most valuable franchise of any sport in the world?  Shouldn't the masses be boycotting and protesting at every game?  (But they're not.)  

With all of that being said, I think that it's high time for me to jump on the PC bandwagon.  If this era of PC that doesn't appear to be ending anytime soon, I am considering legal action against the University of Notre Dame and a request to have their trademarks cancelled because they are disparaging to Irish Americans.  The moniker of the Fighting Irish shows a leprechaun in an ever fighting stance which, in my opinion, I find offensive as it denotes that we Irish are all drunks who are always looking for a fight after a few too many Guinness stouts--talk about disparaging and derogatory toward my heritage. 

Sound silly, well of course it is, after all, it’s about sports and the Washington franchise has been around since 1932.   Of course, my remarks about Notre Dame are tongue in cheek but it gets to the ridiculousness of changing all of these team names, mascots, etc. issues just to satisfy political correctness.

1 comment:

  1. I am not Native American, nor do I speak for Native Americans. Nor, I am trying to pick a fight. In fact, I am also part Irish.

    I do not think that the "Fighting Irish" is derogatory. I'm proud of my heritage and that it is celebrated.

    Read http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/redskin-name-update

    Redskin is a derogatory term. "Fighting Irish" is not. You can "feel" like the caricature is insulting but the word Redskin is factually insulting. It is not a matter of opinion.

    Also read the Onion's headline: http://www.theonion.com/articles/redskins-kike-owner-refuses-to-change-teams-offens,34292/

    Although satire in nature, the headline has helped others "see."

    Can you imagine if the team was named the

    "Washington Kikes (or insert any racial slur)."

    Would that ever be allowed to happen?

    ReplyDelete