"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Monday, August 6, 2012

We Are Strange People

I have been receiving the New York Times each day for the last week from my newspaper delivery person.  I don't know if it's an extra newspaper or a promotion, but it isn't a newspaper that I usually read.  I have read it each day to get a perspective that I don't usually get.  I currently read the Washington Post every day for a more liberal perspective on current issues since I lean more to the right of center; however, the New York Times is considered the heart of liberalism in the print media.  I found it interesting that their articles and editorials clearly demonstrate that they are champions for the poor, the downtrodden, those who have been disenfranchised by America.  At the same time, the NY Times repeatedly attacks the rich, the powerful and corporate America.  What I also noticed in each issue is the extravagance of their advertisements.   When you open to the second page of the front section of the newspaper each day, you see their first advertisement of prominence.   It is always for a $3000 handbag or a pair of shoes for $1295.  There are ads for Tiffany's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus and Burberry throughout each issue.  The very people who they attack in their articles and editorials are the same people who they are hoping will support their advertisers.  Ridiculously strange, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment