"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lest We Forget

What an appropriate title to today's blog.  I was prepared to blog about an entirely different topic and when I typed the date, it hit me.  So, I did forget based on how hectic the last few days have been.  However, I have to blog about September 11, 2001.   I can't remember feeling the shock that I felt when I learned what had happened in NYC, Northern Virginia and Shanksville, PA, ever before.  That awful awareness when that second plane flew into the other tower of the World Trade Center and at that moment realizing it was an attack on our nation and not just a horrific accident.  But, then came the unity of a nation and the outpouring of patriotism from coast to coast.  A country rallying around President Bush and Mayor Giuliani, no matter whether you liked or disliked either man;  it didn't matter whether you were a Democrat or a Republican; there was an outpouring of support for what needed to happen from a grateful nation as well as throughout the world.  This date has to remain a very special and solemn day for decades to come.  It can't become diluted with everything else that is happening around us.  It's been 12 years, but it still seems like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment