"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Knowing Albert

All over the media today is the story about Albert Lexie, who shines shoes at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA.  Albert has been shining shoes since 1981 at Children's Hospital and to date has contributed over $200,000 to the hospital.  I had the privilege of having Albert shine my shoes when I worked at the hospital next door to Children's Hospital.  Albert would stop by my office each week and shine my shoes.  I was one of Albert's first customers outside of Children's Hospital.  When I moved to another hospital across the City, I tried to convince Albert to start shining shoes at that hospital as well, with his contributions still going to Children's Hospital.  He politely declined as that would have taken Albert out of his comfort zone of the hospitals in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh.   Albert is a very special individual who deserves all of the national recognition that he is getting today.

No comments:

Post a Comment