"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shutting Down Electronic Communication

I am torn after reading an article about managers being more effective by learning to shut down smart phones, iPads, laptops, etc. when they aren't at work.  The article says that we need to take a break to get recharged during the evenings, nights and weekends.   Personally, I can't do it, but now I feel guilty with the expectation that when I send an email or a text message over the weekend that it be responded to before Monday AM.   Fortunately and selfishly, all of my direct reports pretty much respond immediately.  Quite frankly, being in a health care system that operates 24 /7, there is always a lot going on.  Much can happen during the night and certainly on weekends.  I guess that I will have to reassess my approach as well as my expectations without impacting the expectations of those counting on us who are working during the nights and weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment