"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mandatory Flu Shots

It looks like I am going to be faced with an interesting dilemma regarding flu shots prior to the upcoming flu season.    The American Hospital Association and the Maryland Hospital Association are asking hospitals and health systems to impose mandatory flu shots for our employees.  Certainly a great way to reduce the incidence of flu nationwide, but it's not that simple. 

Personally, I get the flu shot each year and I have for as long as I can remember.  I can't think of a better way to protect yourself, your family and each other.  However, there are some who never get the flu shot because they never get the flu.  I have worked side by side with one of the C-Suite executives for the last 15 years. I can't remember her ever missing a day of work due to illness and she has never gotten a flu shot. 

Imposing such a requirement on staff will have its challenges.  However, we need to dramatically increase our vaccination rate one way or another.  More to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment