"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Servant Leadership

I have written on occasion about Servant Leadership and how critical it is to the business of health care.  It is the most appropriate style of leadership even for the hospital or health system CEO.  I like to think that I am servant leader; however, I may miss to mark from time to time.  How do you recognize a servant leader?  Well, they are individuals with humility, patience, kindness, respectfulness, selflessness, forgiveness, honesty and commitment.  They are the ones with an ego, but it is focused on the team and the team's accomplishments. They are the leaders who have a desire to serve; actually a much needed characteristic for any leader within the health care field.   More personally directed, as a servant leader, I like to think that I am more engaged with staff; I am mission and values focused; I have walked in the shoes of the hourly employee, the supervisor, the manager, the department director, as well as the young executive and, now, the more senior executive.  I guess the most important aspect of my approach to servant leadership is that I want to do it.  It is who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment