"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Antietam

Someone was describing the other day what happens at Antietam National Park,  just north of Sharpsburg, MD, this time of year.  I found it fascinating that for the last 25 years volunteers light over 23,110 luminaries to commemorate the number of casualties during our nation's bloodiest one-day battle on September 17, 1862.  Apparently, this event occurs the first Saturday of every year and for some unknown reason this is the first that I have heard about it.  You would have thought that during my 22-year stint in Maryland that I would have come across that information.  Well, maybe it's not that surprising in that it took me 20 years to get to Antietam National Park and it was by accident that I happened by and stopped.  Shame on me!  Antietam is just as hollowed and as sacred as I found Gettysburg to be many years ago.  A visit to Antietam next December has already been added to my bucket list.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know such an event at Antietam took place. Sounds like something I should look into and get to. It looks like we share a few things in the bucket list http://iqdit.com/qid/15/u/graff41/bucketlist

    ReplyDelete