"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Lean In

Over the weekend, I read an excellent book by Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook.  Her book, "Lean In," is fast becoming a best seller and is a wonderful read for any woman and actually, most men.  Normally, a book like this wouldn't be my first choice, but after reading an interview with the author, I was intrigued by what I had read.  I, in turn, bought two copies of the book, one for each of my daughter's and I took the opportunity to read a copy. 

Sheryl offers solutions to women looking to pursue leadership positions or enhance their leadership abilities. This book would be especially valuable for any young woman having any doubt about what she is or can contribute.  Sheryl writes about how she suffered from the "imposter syndrome" with even being the best in her class from high school through Harvard, working for the World Bank, the US Treasury Department, Google and now Facebook.  She was fearful that someone would find out that she really isn't all that.  She was overwhelmed with self-doubt as many of us can be in varying times in our lives. 

"Lean In" is filled with excellent advice for all of us, from mentorship to the struggles of working mothers.  I chose to read "Lean In" so I can be of greater assistance to my two daughters and the many women with whom I work as they look to enhance their leadership abilities.   I would hope that by coupling my mentorship background and knowledge with the insights provided in Sheryl's very well written book, it will benefit the many women by whom I am so fortunately surrounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment