Tuesday, October 23, 2012
What Does WMHS Mean to the Region?
In addition to being the largest employer with over 2200 employees and having an economic impact of over $300 million per year on the region, from time to time it is important to remind folks of the host of services that we provide.
· A designated area wide trauma center with a trauma team consisting of trauma surgeons, anesthesiologists, critical care specialists and other support personnel 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
· Special designation as a Cardiac Intervention Center and a Stroke Center, ensuring that patients have access to life-saving services within prescribed time-frames.
· Emergency medical care 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
· Medical direction to pre-hospital providers, such as paramedics and EMTs throughout Allegany and Garrett counties as well as the surrounding counties in WV and PA.
· Specialty coverage for medical, surgical, orthopedic, OB/GYN, pediatric and a host of other services.
· Subspecialty coverage for cardiology, neurosurgery, and neonatal services on a 24 hour basis.
· Twenty-four hour coverage for all aspects of lab, radiology, respiratory therapy, OR, Behavioral Health, Open Heart Surgery and Interventional Cardiology.
· Relationships with other academic medical centers and specialty hospitals for spinal cord injuries, burns, specialty pediatrics, hand injuries, eye and neonates.
We provide excellent medical care and treatment as a full service community hospital. We have developed relationships with other providers to best care for the patients that we serve. If WMHS is not as well versed in a certain area of medical expertise or if we don't see as many cases of a particular type that would ensure the proficiency of the staff, we will not hesitate to transfer our patients to the best setting for their care.
As you can see, we offer a great deal to this community in terms of economic impact, community support, wellness and, most importantly, in the care and treatment of our patients.