"The Ronan Report" provides insight about the activities at the Western Maryland Health System in Cumberland, Maryland, and about the changes taking place in healthcare today from a CEO's perspective.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Blinded By the Light

The other day, I heard a national radio interview with a nurse who was leaving for West Africa to care for Ebola-infected patients.  She said that she was called by God to be there.  She said that she told her family that she had to go so please support her in her decision. She never asked for their permission, only their support.  

I certainly don't know her personal circumstances, but if I was faced with the same situation and my wife, a nurse, said that she was called by God, I would have trouble supporting such a calling, at least under the current circumstances in West Africa. I guess that I know too much.  I have read numerous accounts and have seen footage of what is happening in West Africa in the care and treatment of these patients. The conditions in which these people are being cared for are primitive at best.  They lay on rugs on dirt floors in large huts with scores of other infected patients around them.  There is an extreme shortage of gowns, gloves, masks, face shields, water, hand sanitizer and the list goes on.  

This nurse is going there for all of the right reasons but could be failing to grasp to gravity of the situation, well at least until she arrives.  God speed to all who find themselves in a similar situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment